Everything You Need to Know about Mini Implants
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that replace damaged or missing teeth and support the bridges, crowns, and dentures. Mini implants, as the name suggests, are smaller than conventional dental implants. However small they are, they can offer the same function as traditional implants. Its small size gives it an advantage, as the procedure is less involving.
Why Opt for Mini Implants?
Mini implants in Elmhurst are used in cases where a conventional implant cannot be possible, and these include cases where you:
- Are unable to undergo an invasive surgery
- Do not have enough jaw bone for a conventional implant
- Don’t have enough time to have frequent visits to your dentist
- Want to minimize the cost of dental implants expenditure. The mini-implants are less expensive as compared to conventional implants.
- Have small teeth
- Want to replace only the front teeth
The Mini Implants Treatment Process
Once you have discussed the implants you need with your dentist, the treatment process will immediately start. The dentist offering mini-implants near you will begin with administering local anesthesia to the surgical site. The local anesthesia is to numb pain, make you feel calm and comfortable during the entire process. Next, the dentist will make incisions to expose your jawbone and drill holes on the bone to make room for the mini-implants.
Your dentist will then place the implants on the drilled holes, after which they will suture the incisions leaving only a small part of the implants visible above the gumline. The dentist will then place temporary restorations to use as you are healing. After you are healed completely, the dentist will permanently replace your teeth by taking dental impressions of your mouth and teeth. Once the impressions are ready at the lab, the permanent teeth are attached to your mouth, and you can enjoy your brand-new aesthetic smile.
Advantages of Mini Implants
The main advantage of mini-implants include:
- It is suitable for patients whose jawbone is not so thick
- It is a minimally invasive procedure; your dentist can place implants without using any complex surgical procedures
- It is best for replacing small teeth like lower incisors and upper lateral incisors
- There is no need for grafting of your bone as the diameter on the mini-implants is not more than 3mm
- The mini-implants will function immediately as you will receive a removable denture after the procedure
- It is less expensive as compared to conventional implants
- The stability of the partial or complete removable dentures enables comfortability and natural use of artificial teeth
The cons of mini-implants are:
- Its uses are limited, your dentist only sues them when conventional implants are impossible.
- The type of mini implants, which are one-piece, are less flexible.
- They can loosen as they do not anchor deep into the jawbone. Its hold and stability are limited.
- They are not suitable for replacing the centrally placed incisors
- The mini implants, which have a small diameter, can fracture easily
How To Take Care of Mini Implants
Just as your natural teeth, mini implants need the same exceptional care. This is done so by:
- Practice good oral hygiene by flossing once a day and brushing them twice a day.
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist will recommend a fluoride toothpaste or a specific rinse if there is a build-up of tartar or plaque.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to clean them.
- If you experience teeth clenching or grinding, your dentist will recommend wearing mouthguards while sleeping to avoid damaging the mini implants.
- Avoid intake of alcohol or smoking
- Limit the intake of hard or sticky foods
- Use bottle openers to open soda bottles and scissors to cut objects
Where Can you Find Mini Implants in Elmhurst, IL
If you want to improve the aesthetic smile by using mini implants in Elmhurst, visit Premier Orthodontics and Dental Specialists. Our dental experts will help you on finding out if you are a good candidate for the implants. We also offer other dental treatment options such as sleep apnea treatment, emergency care, teeth whitening, and many more. Please book an appointment today to schedule a consultation with our dental experts.